Thursday, September 19, 2013

Paris, je t'aime!

Sassy SASers in Paris!
(c) Cody Varela
The first time I went to Paris was back in 2009, with my mom and my sister Kai. I had enrolled in a two-week youth leadership camp in Megeve, France, that summer before my last year in UWC-USA. Since Paris was just a few hours away from Megeve, my mom planned a short trip that allowed us to spend a few days in Paris and Switzerland before they had to bring me to camp.

I remember being so enthralled and amazed by the city of lights back then. Who wouldn't be? The weather was perfect, the food was delicious, the sights breathtaking. I couldn't believe I was actually in Paris, France! Oui, oui! I remember going out into the tiny balcony in our hotel room, breathing in the cool Parisian air, and silently telling God that I want to be able to go back to this beautiful city someday, and asking Him to make this request possible.

True enough, He gave in to my request 4 years later and gifted me with the best birthday present ever!

---

Below is an excerpt from what I wrote in my journal when we arrived in Paris last week:

Friday, September 13th
1:37 pm

It's Friday the 13th and I am in Paris. If that doesn't cancel out the negative connotation that comes with that date, I don't know what will. Our bus stopped right by our hotel after a 4-ish hour trip from Antwerp. I stepped out of the bus, and that same cool Parisian breeze welcomed me back. The clouds were gray and the atmosphere seemed dreary, but the excitement I had, along with the giddiness of the 38 other students I was with, said otherwise. We were in Paris. PARIS!

Here's to probably the best birthday weekend I will ever get to experience. Cheers!



---

Next post: France Highlights (Paris, Giverny, & Le Havre)

No comments:

Post a Comment