Sunday, September 8, 2013

Germany Highlights

As I've said before, I will try not to blab-blog. So, as much as I want to go on and on (and on and on...) about my Germany adventures, I will just share some bits and pieces!

(1) Hamburg Building Structures
In the city of Hamburg, all the buildings and constructions you will see are either made out of red-brown bricks or glass. The government of Hamburg, in the effort to preserve the historic/vintage feel of the city, issued a construction rule that new buildings and structures must either be made out of bricks, or made of glass (or have large glass window panels). If it's glass, it will show off the reflections of the brick buildings that surround it. I thought that was interesting!

The Unilever building made out of glass
(2) Bike, bike, bike!
I really love how European cities are super bike-friendly! It amuses me whenever I'd see a man in his business attire ride down the street in his bike, or that woman in her power suit, biking while talking to someone on her cellphone via bluetooth. Sometimes, the streets literally are filled with more cyclists than drivers! Nakakatawa kasi instead of being mindful of the cars, sa mga bikers ako nag iingat! Haha. They go so fast, and the bike lane is right by the sidewalk, so if you're not careful, you might actually get hit haha

Rent A Bike 
(3) Discipline
I was so impressed at how the pedestrians here strictly adhere to the traffic light rules. When the pedestrian traffic light turns red signaling the no walking sign, the pedestrians will stop and wait, even if there's no sight of a car coming. From what I've observed, no one tried to jaywalk, or attempted to make a mad dash against a red light across the street, like how you would see often in other cities (The "basta walang kotse, takbo!" mindset). Here, even when the coast is completely clear, everyone won't move until that light turns green. 
Look! They have a heart stoplight! This was in Berlin. I thought it was AWESOME.

(4) Berlin Wall
The Berlin Wall and all the art splashed on it = crazy cool. This was my favorite part of Berlin for sure. Not only does the Wall have such a symbolic significance, but it also expresses freedom through creativity. Berlin city, in general, is an art itself. So colorful, so alive, so vibrant! I also got some pieces of the Berlin wall from a souvenir shop, wuhoo! 

Berlin Wall Art
(5) Hitler, Holocaust
Seeing all the memorials and tributes to the Holocaust made me want to read on it more thoroughly. I've always known the story behind it, but being in Berlin really ignited that desire to learn more about Hitler, concentration camps, the Nazi, and the Jews. I'm honestly (and sadly) not a big History person (History classes were never my thing), but this particular piece of history is just too intense and my curiosity has just been fed big time!

A small outdoor exhibit about the Nazi Regime
(6) CHOCOLATES!!!
Seriously, what do they put in European chocolates that make them SO incredibly delicious?! I went crazy the other day when we went to a store filled with all my favorite kinds of chocolates: Milka, Kinder, Ritter Sport, and Lindt. I seriously did not know where to start because I was just too happy. I was in my happy place. I kinda hope that instead of Europe being the fist area of visit in our semester's itinerary, it was the last. That way, baka may chocolate pasalubongs pa left for my family and friends when I finish the voyage and go home.. At this point, all chocolates might be consumed by the time I get to Africa. I'm not even sorry hehehe #sorrynotsorry

Heaven
(7) Ticket Fine
One of the most memorable experiences ever was when my friend and I were fined 40 Euros (2k+ PhP; $53) for not having a valid ticket on the train. We thought our tickets were valid for 24 hours, but turns out it expired at 3 in the morning. My friend was the one who bought the ticket since she owed me money then, so I didn't get to look at the screen when she bought our train tickets. But she insisted that our tickets were good for 24 hours, and refused to pay the fine. I could tell that the German ticket person was getting pissed, so I went ahead and paid right away. After a couple more grumbles, my friend did, too. It was an honest mistake, but definitely an experience to remember, even if it's a sucky one. 40 Euros is a LOT to lose just like that!! (Sorry Papa and Mama, if you're reading this!) I would put a picture of the ticket (lovely souvenir), but I didn't bring it with me right now.

(8) Share A Coke With Laura
Coca-Cola's advertisement gig: Personalized names on Coke bottles and cans! I couldn't find my name when I was in London and Hamburg, but when I was in Berlin, I literally squealed when I finally found a Laura bottle! Teehee. 
The bottle says "Share A Coke With Laura" in German!

And finally..

(9) No Room For Taken 3.. Sketchy sketchy!
When we were having dinner in Berlin last Friday night, a french guy started talking to us and inviting us over to the table he shared with his friends (who were watching him while he was talking to us and laughing). I already had a bad feeling about him/them especially when he mentioned that he had a flat a couple minutes from where we were and that we should come over and "get wasted in Berlin" with them. A couple of the people I was with continued to engage in a conversation with him, but I couldn't shake the bad impression I had with them. I mean, he was really super nice. But honestly, you never really know, you know? And I've seen both Taken movies, and learned a thing or two from Liam Neeson about these sketchy guys!!! Hehe. But thankfully, we were able to shake them off. And yes, I was silently praying for God's protection all that time hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment