Sunday, November 10, 2013

Praying for the Philippines

Last night, I got an email from my sister Karla updating me with what's happening in the Philippines. I was devastated when I read that an extremely deadly storm wiped out Leyte, and that the death toll continues to rise. :(

During noon announcements on the ship earlier today, the news of the horrible typhoon was also brought up as the Academic Dean informed the community about it. Since most of the crew workers here on the MV Explorer are Filipinos, this sad news from home is a big deal to many of us on board.

Hearing news like that when you're away from home is awful. It hits me harder than if I were back in the Philippines, I feel like. I guess it's that feeling of helplessness and knowing that I'm so far away and can't really do much about it but pray, especially since I'm in the middle of the ocean right now and literally have nowhere else to go.

It just breaks my heart finding out that my home country has been struck with yet another natural disaster. Sigh. I really hope the families of the crew workers here are all safe and sound. The crew here has become like my Filipino extended family, and I'd hate to think that they might have loved ones back in Leyte who were affected by this typhoon :(

Thoughts, prayers, and love go out to my fellow Filipinos back in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment