Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ireland: Literary Pub Tour

So it's a day before we get to South Africa! We dock in the Port of Cape Town tomorrow morning :) But I'm gonna take this time to take you back to more of my European posts!

While in Dublin, I got the chance to join a Literary Pub Tour, which is a pub crawl with elements of theater thrown into the mix. A pub crawl is when you go from one pub to the next, spending a certain amount of time (and drinking a certain amount of drink) at each one. I signed up for this day program because it sounded so entertaining and unique!

The literary pub tour sign outside our first pub, Duke Pub


It is a guided tour by actors from Dublin, performing works by some of the city's best known writers. You get to go to different pubs, order a drink or something to eat, and relax and enjoy the theatrical bit the actors/guides perform for you! Then you all travel as a group and move on to the next pub, where the actors will then do another piece.

Drinking is a big part of the Irish culture, with Dublin having several thousands of pubs. Literally every corner has a pub! We started our Dublin Literary Pub Crawl at Duke Pub, where I was able to try Irish coffee. Let's just say I'd rather have my caffeine un-spiked. Lol. The whiskey was too strong for me, bleh. But hey, I can at least say I've actually had some legit Irish coffee!

With my Irish coffee (plus horrible lighting)
Our actors opening performance was Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot". I had to read this play for my Intro to Lit class back in Westminster, so it was awesome watching it being acted out, as I was sipping (very small sips) of my Irish coffee.

Our thespians getting ready to perform "Waiting For Godot"

I didn't drink at the other pubs because that Irish coffee I had at the first pub already did me in haha. But I wish I had taken down notes on which works the actors performed! They were so entertaining and enthusiastic. It was such a cool experience, and to have it set in Dublin made it all the more awesome. The tour lasted for around 2 and half hours, including a stop at Trinity College, Dublin's most prestigious university.


No comments:

Post a Comment